Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Reports to: Managing Director
Location: New Delhi
Level/Grade: Senior Management/Grade – A
About Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation
Nobel Peace Laureate Kailash Satyarthi’s experience and proven track record of over 35 years at both the grassroots and global policy level uniquely positions him to expand and build his work globally through the Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation (KSCF). The KSCF is the global umbrella for KSCF-India based in New Delhi and the KSCF-U.S. based in Washington, D.C, USA. KSCF-India specializes in direct action and KSCF-US focuses on outreach and engagement, while policy and training are the domain of both entities.
KSCF envisions a world where every child can live freely with dignity, having fundamental right to be free, safe, healthy, educated, and discover her/his potential. KSCF’s mission is to end all violence against children. To make this a reality, the Foundation will focus on the 3Ps: People, Practice and Policy.
- People: Tap the power of children and youth to fight for their own freedom and rights, and to stand up for millions of their peers living in exploitation globally through history’s largest campaign to globalise compassion
- Practice: Restore the freedom, health and education of 300,000 children and youth in India and 1 million globally by sharing and scaling proven child-friendly programmes and practices while promoting innovation
- Policy: Share world-class research and practical solutions to build the capacity of governments, businesses and communities to ensure policies and laws meet children’s needs and are enforced by establishing the KSCF Institute in India.
KSCF is currently on an accelerated expansion trajectory. We are seeking a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to lead its India presence in New Delhi. The CEO role is a key member of the senior management team, reporting only to the Managing Director (MD).Working across the organisation, the CEO will ensure value and efficiency is maximised across operations with major responsibility of a) providing the overall management and leadership oversight to the foundation, b) facilitating the on-going organizational evolution (OE) process and c) for positioning the organization within a rapidly changing socio-economic and programmatic context in India and globally through people, policy and practice arm.
The CEO will:
- Expand the India office and attract and retain top talent to deliver KSCF goals.
- Drive and deliver the execution of fundraising plan, develop new revenue streams and ensure fundraising targets are met.
- Ensure quality and excellence of KSCF research, advocacy and programs working with senior management.
- Represent the public face of the KSCF India office in external engagements and ensure consistency of KSCF brand, marketing and communications.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with senior levels of government, NGOs, businesses, HNIs, Foundations and UN agencies.
- The position will require regular travel throughout India and international travel to other KSCF offices, strategic meetings and events.
Job Description (Role Expectations)
The role will entail and not be restricted to the following responsibilities:
- Develop and implement strategy and operational plan for the foundation in collaboration with the Board, the Trustees, and other senior management members
- Working closely with the Chairperson, Board of Directors, Managing Director, the CEO will: Execute and deliver on the KSCF business plan for the growth of the KSCF India office aligned with the Chairperson’s vision, mission with support from national and international staff
Fundraising and Partnerships
- With KSCF’s Head of Fundraising and the Managing Director establish, develop and manage relationships with a portfolio of individual, corporate, foundations and other institutional major donors, ensuring they are giving to their potential.
- Identify, develop and pursue new funding streams that align with organizational and country strategies
- Collaborate with the Board to recruit new Board members and Global Advisory Council members
- Support the Head of Fundraising donor cultivation plans to retain donors, participate in fundraising dinners and events
- Ensure excellence in donor reporting to demonstrate impact, efficiency and value for donor money
- Build strategic partnerships with key stakeholders and ensure stakeholder satisfaction
- Ensure support and buy-in for campaigns and programme interventions from key stakeholders
- Determine representation and appropriate organisational participation in relevant national, regional and global forums / platforms
- Collaborating with senior management:
- Ensure program excellence and quality
- Connect to and understand trends in child labour, education and health to inform India research, advocacy and programs
- Anticipate, understand and respond to India policy environment to ensure KSCF’s leadership in research and programs
- Leverage KSCF’s research, policy and advocacy expertise to inform programs and campaign in India and globally
- Ensure regular compliance
- The person will be required to implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process across all areas of operations – focusing on systems /process improvement.
- Take overall ownership and responsibility of the day-to-day operations and administration of the organisation
- Ensuring each function stays on track to meet its goals, and each department understands its role in relation to the other departments and the overall mission
- Develop and improve metrics to assess the organisation’s performance across various external and internal indicators
Marketing and Communications
- Raise the profile of the KSCF in India and globally through public speaking and statements
- Represent the KSCF to the media, at strategic public and private events to advance the objectives of the KSCF
- Ensure all materials align with the brand, vision and mission of the KSCF as set by the Chairperson’s office
- Attract and retain top talent to build the India country team working with the Human Resources Lead and recruitment agencies
- Provide open and inclusive leadership to foster participation and feedback of all India country staff
- Develop a high performance results-oriented culture by ensuring effective planning and management systems
- Collaborate with the KSCF team in the US, UK, Bachpan Bachao Andolan, Global March and future offices on mutual strategy, programmes, fundraising and special events, as well KSCF team building
Knowledge Management, Monitoring and Reporting
- Provide oversight and management of KSCF results and achievements through a monitoring and evaluation system
Governance and Compliance
- Manage and attend quarterly meetings of the KSCF Board of Directors in India as well as the KSCF Global Board (when required)
- Ensure legal compliance of all KSCF operations
- Identify and manage risks for the organisation
- Oversee the budget and use of financial resources aligned with the strategy and plan as set by the Board of Directors
- Ensure and deliver financial reporting to the board collaborating with the Managing Director and Head of Finance
Competencies for the role:
- Functional Knowledge – Demonstrate a strong awareness and knowledge in relation to KSCF’s areas of function. Passion for KSCF’s mission to end violence against children and its program areas
- Influencing Skills – Ability to develop and manage relationships with and through others to persuade, convince and/or gain support in order to achieve strategic objectives
- Analytical skills & Strategic Thinking – Able to bring disciplined analysis to data and information available and be able to provide right strategic direction to the team
- Achievement Orientation – Should have sustained energy and determination in the face of obstacles to set and meet challenging objectives in compliance with quality and time standards
- Leading and Developing Others – Ability to lead, encourage, inspire and support others to develop confidence and capability to help them realise their full potential.
Education, Experience and Exposure:
- Advance degree (Masters/other) in relevant discipline from institute/university of repute preferably covering research methodology as a topic of study
Experience & Exposure
- A strong professional leader with minimum of 20 years professional experience; in India or in the US.
- Excellent leadership, management and negotiation skills; self-motivated and results oriented approach
- Proven business development track record in identifying, developing and securing new streams of revenue to support KSCF operations
- Professional experience of working in a global NGO, foundation or corporate
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills and experience of writing business plans
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail;
- Self-driven and results orientated
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong relationship-building skills – demonstrated experience managing senior level relationships in the private, non-profit and government sectors
- Ability to provide the inspiration, direction and incentives required for team success
- Demonstrated financial, operational and administrative acumen
- Strong operational experience, particularly in relation to start-ups, business experience is desired
- Fluency in English and Hindi